Sunday, October 5, 2008

I am bad at computers

Or, more specifically, I'm REALLY bad at understanding code. I have another blog (about which you may have heard) hosted through WordPress. Now, don't get me wrong, I really like WordPress for the most part. However, I don't understand the code involved, which means I log in, write a new blog, and hit "post" and things usually go really well...until about two weeks ago. Suddenly, I can't log in. At all. I've searched the support forums, and all the advice I can manage to find involves going into my PHP files and deleting broken code. Let me be clear: I have no idea if I even HAVE PHP, let alone what code to look for in said files/tables. I am highly annoyed. According to my smart brother, it appears as though there is something wrong with the template I'm using and the only way to fix it is to log in and install a new template. But I can't log in and if I can't log in, I can't FIX anything.

I am so frustrated that I'm about ready to somehow back everything up (as if I know how to do that short of cutting and pasting into Word) and just delete my account with them. The support forums have been very unhelpful to a code-moron like me and my brother is busy with work and family and shouldn't be expected to solve my stupid blog problems.

Any ideas? I'm at my wits' end, which isn't that far from the beginning lately.

6 comments:

Mika said...

This is a Wordpress hosted blog? Like the address has wordpress in it right? Because if it does you shouldn't be able to access any of your php files without logging in... and even then I don't know if you would be able to access them. Now, if it is a wordpress blog hosted on your own domain name, then you actually would go in through your webserver account and get to the php that way.

Giggles said...

Because your site isn't hosted by WordPress, only using their programing, there is little they can do and the help forums can only say so much. The problem is going to be on your server, and there are ways to log in kind of sort of enough to fix it.

I know code, kind of, and even I need help with that kind of stuff. Like how for more than a month this summer the guy running the server had changed one setting so my blog wasn't sending out emails any more.

I hope you find someone to help you with it soon.

Aloha said...

I think Loren & Michelle Chandler use this for their blog too. They have their own server so I bet he could fix it!

AmandaStretch said...

My code knowledge is limited, but DeShawn rocks at this kind of stuff. I would ask him if you get a chance.

Heidi said...

Thanks for all your suggestions! My brother and I sat down and remembered that I'm piggybacked on his account...therefore, he has all the access to what I need. Looks like there is some wonky code in my template. We've backed everything up and are looking at solutions right now. Thanks!! :)

Giggles said...

Yeah! I'm glad you are working on it. I like reading your other blog.