Monday, May 4, 2009

Fashion tip:

You know how some coats and skirts have walking vents or slits? You know how, when you buy them, those vents or slits are stitched closed with an X of thread?

Well. I am here to inform you that the clever thread X is not decorative. It is there to keep the vent from ripping or becoming misshapen when people try on said skirt or coat. PLEASE unpick the darn thing! Cut the thread! It looks so sloppy when you're wearing an otherwise nice outfit but you haven't cut the thread on your walking vent!

Details, people. Details.

PS: Also check the pockets in coats, especially suit coats. They're usually stitched closed in the store, but are easily opened with a nice seam ripper at home. A whole new world of pockets awaits.

2 comments:

Giggles said...

I remember unpicking the basting on some pant pockets of mine, while I was wearing them, while waiting in line for something. It's probably easier at home with a seam ripper when you aren't wearing them.

lifeisbutadream said...

You do realize, Heidi, that those people probably aren't exactly sure what a seam ripper is? So funny. I do that though. I have a seam ripper, but I get a kick out of spending the day picking out the little threads in my new clothes. It reminds that I'm wearing new clothes. I'm weird like that.