Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I am, apparently, a cranky old bat

Honestly. Who, in their right mind, thinks "let's make the kids put on swimming suits, load up the car, and drive to the local university quad where we can let our kids play in the recycled-water fountain"? WHO?!

Apparently, the women and kids who have been in the quad for the last couple of hours. Children in swimming suits playing in the fountain/waterfall. Blankets and food on the grass.

Now, keep in mind that I'm all for having fun with your kids. I really am. But would you let your kids play in the fountains at the mall? On purpose? Have you not heard of cryptosporidium or giardia?! Would you take your kids to the other local university and set them loose in the Fine Arts Building? Oh wait. I've seen that happen. I guess I'm one of those people who thinks public spaces are public for a reason, and that half a dozen kids in the fountain kind of detracts from it. I sound completely stodgy, I know...but I'd be the mom saying "honey, please don't climb in the untreated, recycled-water fountain. It's not a swimming pool and you could get very sick. If you want to go swimming, let's go to the city pool tomorrow after chores, ok?"

I must prefer it when things are used properly or something. I like appropriateness and respect for public property.

On the other hand, they're not hurting anything, it's really hot out today, and they were having a lot of fun. I must just be jealous that I'm stuck behind this desk...where's my giant cookie?

1 comment:

Giggles said...

I'd be with you on that one. But then I'm also officially old enough to be a cranky bat now too.