Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Let me just clear this up for you.

I know we all love to hear the "Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 so there you chumps!" schtick.  It's kind of empowering to think that one of the most beautiful women in the world was a size 14.  But.  Let's get this clear.  A size 14 in the 1950s is equivalent to a size 6 or 8 today.  Even at her heaviest, sweet Marilyn was still pretty small, although curvy.  What I think a lot of people don't understand is that movie stars (then and now) tend to be shorter than we assume and thinner than average.  People also don't understand that sizing has changed a lot in the last 50 years.  If it makes you feel awesome that Marilyn was a more voluptuous sex-symbol than many celebrities today, that's awesome, but don't kid yourself.  She was never considered "plus-size".

Don't even get me started on the number of old Hollywood stars who had drug addictions and eating disorders.  It's a sad, sad thing, isn't it?

2 comments:

@emllewellyn said...

No kidding. She was as "plus size" as Sofia Vergara-- who isn't. Are you annoyed by that collection of photos floating around facebook, comparing Keira Knightley etc with Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn? Makes me crazy.

Giggles said...

The size I buy in the store is about 8 numbers smaller than the size I sew from a pattern. The pattern size is about what I would've been fifty years ago. People who don't sew regularly are shocked to see they need to buy patterns based on measurements and not stores.